- We value the “family” feel that comes with being a small school. Our average class size is 20 students. All OUMS staff know your child’s name and take responsibility for his or her success.
- Our strict rules and structures help to create a safe environment where students can thrive. Frequent communication with families ensures that we can solve problems together.
- We offer academic tutoring for students daily. In order to help our students be their best academic selves, we also offer social-emotional counseling and a strong Advisory program.
- We maintain a comprehensive support program provided through a partnership between the school, the families, and the community, assures that students have the support they need to focus on academic growth.
- We offer learning experiences that allow Unity students to achieve their leadership and academic potential and become creative critical thinkers, compassionate human beings, and effective participants in a multicultural democratic society.
- Every student is assigned a teacher as an advisor when he/she enters OUMS. For the student’s tenure at OUMS, the teacher/advisor serves as a mentor and advocate for the student and guides him/her toward successful completion of middle school and high school, while encouraging each student to aspire to graduation from a four year college.
- OUMS’s SHARP Habits of Heart and Mind provide guiding principles for students, and integrate our educational philosophy throughout our curriculum.
Who We Are
Oakland Unity Middle School is a public charter middle school authorized by the Alameda County Office of Education serving grades 6-8. The school is developed by school and teacher leaders at Oakland Unity High School (OUHS), in partnership with its parent Oakland-based nonprofit corporation Unity Schools.
The school opened in August 2015 and currently enrolls 165 students. OUMS uses the demonstrably successful model of OUHS as a guiding framework, building from the success and lessons learned from OUHS’ ten years of achievement and service to East Oakland families, with programmatic modifications made to best serve the needs of younger students.
It is the mission of Oakland Unity Middle School to prepare its students for a rigorous high school environment and ultimately admission to and success in college and the career of their choice. OUMS offers a rich curriculum centered on Habits of Heart and Mind that prepares students to successfully meet the University of California A-G requirements in high school. This curriculum has an emphasis on basic skills and core subject matter in English language arts, mathematics, social studies and science, the arts, and a comprehensive support program that promotes healthy youth development, including preparing the students to apply their knowledge and skills for the benefit of the community and environment.
Oakland Unity Middle School (OUMS):
- is a small, safe, and supportive school. High expectations of all stakeholders create an environment in which students develop academic skills and SHARP habits to succeed in the future.
- is committed to dismantling the culture of white supremacy and fighting for inclusion, diversity, access, and justice through our systems, words, reflections, and actions.
- staff offer unwavering support and cultivate a nurturing school experience that is enjoyable, engaging, equitable, and empowering.
- students courageously apply their knowledge and experience to positively contribute to their community and our world.
At Oakland Unity Middle School