- We value the “family” feel that comes with being a small school. Our average class size is 20 students. All OUMS staff know your child’s name and take responsibility for his or her success.
- Our strict rules and structures help to create a safe environment where students can thrive. Frequent communication with families ensures that we can solve problems together.
- We offer academic tutoring for students daily. In order to help our students be their best academic selves, we also offer social-emotional counseling and a strong Advisory program.
- We offer learning experiences that allow Unity students to achieve their leadership and academic potential and become creative critical thinkers, compassionate human beings, and effective participants in a multicultural democratic society.
- OUMS’s SHARP Habits of Heart and Mind provide guiding principles for students, and integrate our educational philosophy throughout our curriculum.
Who We Are
Oakland Unity Middle School (OUMS) is a free public middle school serving all students in grades 6th through 8th. OUMS is located in the heart of Deep East Oakland and is authorized by the Alameda County Office of Education.
OUMS is a small, safe, and supportive school that cultivates a family feel through a robust advisory curriculum and small class sizes. OUMS offers a wide variety of athletics, afterschool programs, extracurricular activities, and field trip opportunities.
The school opened in August 2015 and currently enrolls 165 students. OUMS uses the demonstrably successful model of OUHS as a guiding framework, building from the success and lessons learned from OUHS’ fifteen years of achievement and service to East Oakland families, with programmatic modifications made to best serve the needs of younger students.
You’re able to find our School Accountability Report Card here
Yes, OUMS is a free public school welcoming and serving all students in grades 6-8.
Yes, OUMS has a uniform. All students receive a free uniform shirt and additional items are for purchase. The uniform is as follows:
- Shirts: OUMS shirts in black, yellow, or white OR collared shirts in black, yellow, white, or gray
- Jackets & outerwear: School colors of black, yellow, gray, or white
- Pants: Pants are black or khaki
- Shoes: Shoes are school colors of black, yellow, gray, or white
OUMS serves grades 6-8. While many OUMS students choose to apply to Oakland Unity High School (OUHS), they are not automatically enrolled. OUHS is a California Distinguished School with a proven history of supporting students to gain admission into the most selective colleges and universities in California.
We work with parents and families to help them select the high school program that will best fit their needs.OUHS Website
On average, classes at OUMS have 20 students.
Yes, OUMS has a free After-School Program that runs until 6pm everyday. The After-School Program is robust and offers many engaging classes, activities, and field trips. Some of the programs we have offered are: TechBridge: a program geared toward preparing young, female-identifying students to become STEM leaders; Yoga: a class focused on movement and stress management for students; Double Dutch: a challenging, athletic jump roping class; Digital Storytelling: a class centered on developing engaging stories using media programs.
Yes, OUMS offers a free sports program. Students can play on our soccer, flag football, basketball, and track and field teams. Sports practices take place on campus after school. Games occur on the weekends.