At Oakland Unity Middle School
- We value the “family” feel that comes with being a small school. Our average class size is 20 students. All OUMS staff know your child’s name and take responsibility for his or her success.
- Our strict rules and structures help to create a safe environment where students can thrive. Frequent communication with families ensures that we can solve problems together.
- We offer academic tutoring for students daily. In order to help our students be their best academic selves, we also offer social-emotional counseling and a strong Advisory program.
- We maintain a comprehensive support program provided through a partnership between the school, the families, and the community, assures that students have the support they need to focus on academic growth.
- We offer learning experiences that allow Unity students to achieve their leadership and academic potential and become creative critical thinkers, compassionate human beings, and effective participants in a multicultural democratic society.
- Every student is assigned a teacher as an advisor when he/she enters OUMS. For the student’s tenure at OUMS, the teacher/advisor serves as a mentor and advocate for the student and guides him/her toward successful completion of middle school and high school, while encouraging each student to aspire to graduation from a four year college.
- OUMS’s SHARP Habits of Heart and Mind provide guiding principles for students, and integrate our educational philosophy throughout our curriculum.